Attendance: 275 people max!
- Feedback form by
- Welcome & Introductions!
- Welcome to buildspace’s first Town Hall!
- We will be discussing future plans in this call and what is coming. We’ve been kind of quiet for 30-60 days and have been trying to figure out what’s next for us 🔮
- We’re focused on building something that lasts many years, hopefully many decades
Farzaco-founder, and does everything
alec (he/him)- I work on the engineering side, thank you for messaging me for NFTs that don’t come through. What needs to be done on projects and making sure people have a good time in the discord
emboslice (she/her)- works with partnerships, companies, and making sure buildspacers have a good time
zergotheape(Farhaj) - excited to meet everyone, just came on board. working on partnerships and good stuff
Raza - @AlmostEfficient- TA, helping folks out and is a pretty big deal
Where did buildspace come from?
- About 6 months ago, we decided to pivot from https://zipschool.com/
- buildspace is only 6 months old!
- we knew the ‘web3’ thing is kind of cool, everything that is out there is kind of cringe and feels like school. the initial idea was to make a mini hackathon and build a community around actually making stuff in web3
- imagine a young Alec and young Farza when all they had to do in their lives was go to school. they would both work on different apps, Farza was working on moo.gg and Alec was working on an app to track habits in a fun, cool way. Farza would bring ham and bread and Alec coffee, building apps all day and night and shipped them. At that point, it was insane. The iOS app Alec worked on hit #1 in the app store for like 30 minutes. This is where buildspace comes from because we see you all doing the same thing.
- We took the thing we were doing on the weekends and turned it into buildspace
How has buildspace grown in these 6 months?
- We’ve have 50,000 devs here in buildspace
- Have had 60,000 people sign up for projects!
- What’s the point of this? What’s the future of this thing?
- 4 months ago, we tried an experiment and had 8,000 people were in the discord. 50-100 people were senior engineers at existing companies and we tried to get these people hired full-time in web3. Went out to about 60 web3 companies and got them to sign a contract that said if you hire someone from buildspace, you’ll pay buildspace 20% of their salary for the first year. The idea was that this would fund the treasury. 85 unique people started the interview process, and nobody got hired.
- What was the problem? We were only appealing to the top 1% of builders. So, we’ve kind of moved on from this.
- We were wondering if the pivot could be to get more people using their protocol? Would Solana pay buildspace for the people actually using their product. It worked! We did about 200,000 of revenue that month.
- This is all going to a treasury that you’ll be able to control. We want to do it the right way and set up infrastructure that is long-lasting.
- If we said, “hey, let’s learn about Mirror protocol” that wouldn’t be very appealing. So giving back the value to the community may be the best path forward.
- Our take on learn 2 earn would be giving YOU the buildspacers perks and access to special channels and partnerships
- How can we get more involved past helping people build and ship stuff?
- We have around 2MM booked in revenue
- Graph Protocol
- and more
- Every time a company hires a person from buildspace, they will pay 10% and will take no cut from the salary
Why are you here? What is the goal?
- I want to hire contractors for a X-month contract to help develop my NFT portal
- We’ve began to get a lot of traffic inbound. This is easier to hire for than hiring full-time at uniswap
- We’re looking at short-term contracts. The more you complete, the more power you have over the treasury
- We’re working toward building the decentralized company and workforce of the future
- We would like to build a location/age/background agnostic workforce
Ideas going Forward
- AMA with TAs
- We hired a podcaster to do Twitter spaces!
- buildspace Africa
- buildspace India
- buildspace grants
- Vote on what will get funding from the treasury so that you can work on your own projects full-time
- Post idea on buildspace → get upvoted, get a grant! Fully comunity-based
- buildspace benefits
- give people who are working full-time health insurance (& other benefits)
- 100 people a crunchy roll subscription
- top 1000 people
- buildspacers near me
- how to find working groups near you
- hackathon recruitment space
- merch store - verify your NFTs and get free buildspace merch!
- for Github PRs on /buildspace
- for NFTs completed
- Sli.do for town hall questions: https://app.sli.do/event/2sHgiaWghbwnU5sGkoE1F7/live/questions
- Can we enable more facilitation and collaboration between members in buildspace?
Razawe’re currently building out channels for people to collaborate in
- We’re looking to form squads
- Decentralized buildspace house?
- How many buildspace NFT holders do we have?
- Are we doing anything for ETH Denver?
- What are we going to do for bulidspace women?
- It is something that we want to build out! Please reach out if you want to help out with this!
- A good way to start will be passing the mic in Twitter spaces and on stages to women and underrepresented groups to turn the voice over!
Dev Connect - in April!
- would love to have the top buildspacers sponsored to come out
- potentially demo day winners?
DAO Planning 👀
Link will be available here once the event has finished.
Last Meeting’s Notes
This was the first town hall!